Saturday, March 5, 2016

Water, Boats, Ships!

Water soothes my spirit. Not drinking water, but being on or around water. My earliest memories of water was when I lived in Colorado as a child. Many drives through the mountains were along one of the many mountain streams or rivers. They always looked so cool, and bubbly and refreshing. My Dad sometimes took me along when he fished in those streams. Those were happy times.

As a teen in Iowa, we spent part of our summer at Lake Okoboji in Iowa. We boated, swam, and played on and in the water. Daddy loved boating, Mother did not. So I got to go with him every time! It didn't matter if it was a motor boat, or a row boat, it was fun. There is a feeling of peace, and being close to God when I am on the water! Perhaps that is built in, after all, Jesus started His ministry by the water. Some of His disciples were fishermen, and Jesus often went out in a boat.

Even sitting by water is one of my favorite places to be. Looking out over the water, is quiet, and trees along the shore are reflected in the gentle ripples. For me it is a place where my spirit is free of stress, free to just be a relaxed, and introverted me. I could sit and reflect on life, God, and my place in the world, all while sitting beside a lake.

I find it interesting that God gave me a water loving, Navy man as my husband. We have enjoyed swimming, fishing, and boating together. Our greatest adventure on water was when we went to Hawaii. On a cruise out to Pearl Harbor, we were two of the few who were not sea sick. It amazed me that so many do not enjoy the gentle rolling of a boat. My husband went up to where the boat was being guided through the water, and got permission as a former Navy man, to steer the boat.

Some years ago we were blessed to go on a Christian Cruise. That was a dream come true. A big ship, on the water for five days, totally surrounded by water! We stayed on the decks as often as we could, not wanting to waste a moment of the experience!  On deck, the water experience was magnified greatly! Standing by the railing watching the ship cut through the water was mesmerizing! I could stare at the exspance of water meeting horizon for hours! It was so quieting and relaxing.

It is not surprising that God created this exspance for our pleasure. There are no accidents in creation, no Big Bang. God knew exactly what He wanted our world to be. He intentionally put our world, including water together in perfect fashion. I still love being by water. Now when my husband goes fishing, I love
going along, not to fish, but to enjoy relaxing and staring at one of God's best creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment